New CHURCH Organ
In 2009 a new organ was installed in St Peter's, replacing the old instrument which had been purchased in 1914 and had become unreilable. An earlier predecessor, from 1838-53, had been a barrel organ which provided hymn tunes.
After an exhaustive process involving the organ committee, organ consultant Ian Bell and numerous interested parties reporting to the Diocese, a new organ was ordered from “Manufacture d’Orgues St Martin” – “St Martin” for short - a small firm in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, based near the town of Neuchâtel.
St Martin proposed to place the new organ in the same position as the old, but standing on the floor rather than on the gallery. This allows the pipes to occupy the space where the old organ stood on the south gallery, with the console and mechanism conveniently located below.
It also means that the organ, weighing several tons, can be supported on the floor rather than by the old cast iron pillars of the gallery. This layout also allows a simple and robust mechanical design to be used, which should provide trouble-free service for many decades to come.
Photos of the arrival and construction of the organ are below and can be also viewed a a slide show at:
The organ was first used in December 2009, and proved itself more than capable of leading a full congregation during the Christmas services.